KUCHING (May 19): The Sarawak government is planning to install electric vehicle (EV) chargers at strategic locations along the Pan Borneo Highway, Coastal Road, and Sarawak-Sabah Link Road (SSLR).

Utility and Telecommunication Minister Dato Sri Julaihi Narawi said the initiative would be implemented in stages.

“At the moment, we have only installed EV charging stations in major cities such as Kuching, Sri Aman, Sibu, Bintulu and Miri,” he said in his ministerial winding-up speech.

He said the expansion plan would be carried out by the government through Sarawak Energy Berhad (SEB) and SEDC Energy.

Julaihi added that as of April this year, a total of 153 EV chargers were in operation throughout Sarawak.

It was previously reported that SEB’s first public EV charging station was the Icom Square Charging Hub in Kuching.

The charging hub was launched on Sept 7, 2023, in partnership with Gentari.

Separately, Julaihi said Sarawak is aiming to export at least 30 megawatts (MW) of electricity to Brunei.

“The plan is currently at the negotiation and feasibility study stage,” he said.

It was previously reported that electricity exports to Brunei were expected to commence officially in early 2027, with the initiative in line with Sarawak’s strategy to position itself as a key supplier within the broader Asean Power Grid.

In addition, Julaihi said the state is planning to export up to 1,000MW of electricity to Singapore, with the proposal receiving conditional approval from the Energy Market Authority on Oct 17, 2025.

“This approval recognises the project’s viability and its readiness to proceed to the next phase of development,” he said.

Following approvals granted by National Security Council in December 2025 and the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore in February 2026, commercial discussions and technical development have commenced.

At the same time, Julaihi said plans to export not less than 1,000MW of electricity to the peninsula are currently at the preliminary discussion stage.